Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sunday the day of Doctor Prescribed Rest

This is my second to last Sunday morning service at Shore Community Christian Church. I remember my very first Sunday there. I clung pretty tightly to Aunty Jill, every face was so... unfamiliar. It was almost like I had "NEW COMER" written somewhere on my forehead. There wasn't much organization and getting through the crowds of people was difficult especially when your goal is to not bring attention to yourself. Now I'm able to walk through the doors with my head held high and greet each person and hey bid me good morning. It's a good feeling to know that you are memorable. To know that when you walk into a room people actually seek you out to talk to you instead of being the person who hides along the wall hoping to leave as soon as possible.I sat with the youth girls and organized a MovieLunch at the house for the following Sunday.

It was raining or we all would have gone to Torbay so I could rock climb, instead we headed to the city for some geocaching and kebabs. (I was much more excited about the kebabs, but I enjoy the climbing and hiking the geocaching brings) One of the caches we went after was called "Lost Park" and the GPS led me to a graveyard. Aunty Jill and Sonia always put me in charge of the GPS because it gives me something to do and I don't talk nearly as much as I would. I could only imagine the look on my face when they said we'd be going through the graveyard... I don't do dead things. Through the graveyard we went, the tombs were old, cracked, sinking, and all together the creapiest looking. It was as if Disney World had tested out their graveyard scene for Haunted Mansion here or something. The arrow on the GPS pointed north but I had run out of flat north bound land, we'd be going down hill. My NIKEs weren't made for loose gravel, leaves, sticks, and dirt, I clung to every single branch, limb, tree, shrub, and blade of grass I could until they found the cache and replaced it back to it's resting spot. I was planning on taking one for the team and heading back up the hill to pull everyone up but Aunty Jill thought going farther down the hill would be more of an adventure, we didn't argue.
Keep in mind the only stationary thing on this particular hillside was the hill itself. Each of us took a different approach to the downhill decent, aunty jane went backwards on her hands and feet, Aunty Jill seemed to just glide down (I don't think the woman has a clumsy bone in her body), I crouched down and used my feet as skies and my hands as oars.. it worked and I was going great until I realized nothing was wearing me and I was heading toward a giant pile of debri from the palm trees, it stopped me. If you've ever studied physics Newton's 1st Law states:An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. My feet were stopped by the debri but nothing stopped my upper body, and I was set onto my knees almost eating dirt. Ofcourse this would feel good but there was an extra pain that I had not expected, a 6" spike was sticking out of my knee. I had seen in a few different nature shows that nature should never be left in wounds.. so I pulled it out.. and it bled. Aunty Jane being the mother that she is pulled out a plaster and bandaged me up and took a picture of my boo-boo to make me feel better. Out of the woods, through the cemetery, and on to more caching. My knee hurt througout the day but I didn't think much of it. Aunty Jill told me stories of how palm spikes contain toxins and it was the poisons that hurt.. I laughed. When we got home my knee still hurt and I thought maybe it was my jeans rubbing against the plaster so I changed into shorts, I took one look at my knee and knew this wasn't going to be good. I walked into the kitched and stuck my foot up on a chair near Aunty Jill "umm.. I think I know why it is still hurting" I had another spike in my knee, a considerably smaller one but deeper in my knee. She pointed out one that I had another little friend that was hiding. Aunty Jill removed the larger one with tweasers but couldn't get the other one out. It hurt, worse than when my wrist broke, I didn't scream instead I just bit down on my teeth. This wasn't going to be good, off to the Accident & Emergency Center.
The center wasn't too bad, the people were nice and I didn't have to wait long at all. The doctor injected my knee with some local anestetic, the needle was huge and the second I saw it my head hit the pillow. I cried, I admit it, I bawled... not just then but earlier on too. The doctor was German and I told her all the german I knew from my foreign exchange student. I think she enjoyed my butchering of her language. A small incision was made in my knee and out came the poisonous spike and the debri in the others too. Thank goodness I felt nothing. I got bandaged up and was told to rest it, no lunges, squats, going to the gym, cross-country running or any of the things I do all the time.. oh wait.. that wasn't me.. I've got to stop watching fitness shows.

Monday I read and took care of my knee, it was sore and stiff when I woke up. I cleaned the house just in time for lifegroup to be cancelled due to small numbers and just became one with the couch for the rest of the day. Knee Injuries are no fun, you bend it, it hurts, you straigten it, it hurts. Well atleast I can over exaggerate the story into some awesome action comic and have a cool scar!

May you never fall in a cemetery...

No comments:

Post a Comment